As we approach National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19-25), our team wants to caution pet owners against the dangers of commonly found household items that can be fatal to pets.

#1: Medications

Pets are notorious for getting into anything and everything, especially when it comes to human medications—regardless of the type or quantity. From beef-flavored heartworm preventives to prescription meds intended specifically for their owners, food-motivated dogs have a knack for finding pills dropped on the ground or pill bottles in guests’ luggage before you can stop them! An overdose of medication can be fatal so if your pet ingests any medication, contact an animal poison control hotline immediately.


#2: Food

Keep an eye on your beloved pet while they are in the kitchen at all times, for it is a dangerous place filled with tantalizing yet hazardous foods. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados and unbaked yeast dough can cause illnesses ranging from alcohol poisoning to kidney failure or even hypoglycemia in pets. To ensure that they’ll stay out of trouble if you cannot supervise them while cooking, purchase a locking trash can as an additional precautionary measure.


#3: Household chemicals

Protect your pet from harm by ensuring that the following hazardous chemicals are buried away safely and securely:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

It’s critical to be mindful of the potential risks posed by certain houseplants and chemicals used in gardening, as they can be dangerously toxic for pets. Lilies are particularly hazardous for cats; even contact with just their pollen is enough to cause death. Moreover, other customary household plants such as dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants may also prove dangerous if touched or ingested. Many outdoor blooms like ivy and oleander likewise pose a threat to your pet’s safety – so before bringing home any floral arrangements or planting any foliage in your garden make sure you consult the ASPCA’s list of toxic plants first!


#5: Batteries and coins

Your beloved pet could be exposed to metal poisoning should they ingest batteries or coins. Furthermore, if the battery is chewed and punctured, your companion may suffer chemical burns as a result. Additionally, an intact battery swallowed whole can cause a life-threatening gastrointestinal blockage.

If you suspect your pet has had contact with a hazardous substance, don’t waste time – reach out to our team right away.